Monday, February 18, 2008

My Other Obsession


I've been inspired by Travis' last post...I'm now hungry (ha...funny choice of words for this blog) for more comments on my blog...I know, I know...not exactly how I was supposed to be inspired.  In any case, because Dad and Jack have bailed on the blogging world, my only way to get more comments (from the loyal "Treidi" and "Bee's Knees"--and thanks to "Conners" for her guest appearance!) is to blog more.  I've been trying to capture Hamilton's sweet little smile, so I could blog about that, but it remains elusive.  So, I've decided to blog about my other hobby: weighing myself.  It's definitely not as fun as my little boy; in fact, sadistic and ridiculous might be better adjectives.  After losing a ton of pregnancy weight the first couple weeks, I got used to seeing those numbers go down.  Very little movement on the scale now, which causes me to ponder a few questions:
*How is it possible NOT to lose weight when I only end up eating a couple meals a day and walking an hour+ most days?
*Is that "you burn 500 calories every day lactating" merely a ploy to get moms to breastfeed?
*Do I swallow my pride and invest in "in between" clothes?
*Why did I think I was fat before I got pregnant...I only now realize I looked simply amazing?
*What would happen if I insisted on getting weighed naked at the doctor's today?  THAT scale is my true nemesis.
*Will people think "E" on the scale in the photo means "error" or "enlarged beyond scale's capacity"?
*How can I keep Hamilton looking like a newborn, so people think I've had less time to take off the weight?

p.s. Travis and Heidi, when are you going to hang out with the Conners?  They're sounding a bit desperate, and I do remember them as quite nice people...so quit putting them off! :)

11 comments:

Treidi said...

Not to over use the lame texting message but your post did make me laugh out loud.

Treidi said...

the pig socks rule for style but are they helping your losing weight mind set?

every time you look at them it's mmmmmm piggy katie hungry!

Treidi said...

last but not least... it sounds like you are suffering from BFGC (Breast feeding Guilt Complex)

Heidi had it too. I am not sure why... I would say at least daily,

"Heidi, you love our son don't you? and you understand that clinical studies have shown much better health in breast fed newborns? then I'm sure going through a little discomfort for the sake of our child is an easy choice."

Treidi said...

oops. one more.

maybe now that the pregnancy tracking widget is gone you can replace it with a weight loss one? that way we can all keep track of you:)

heidi said...

I also hate the Dr. Office scale. I swear it's at least 10 lbs heavier than my "real" weight.
On the breastfeeding ploy, I feel your pain. The number actually ranges from 200-500 calories. I remember thinking at some points that I would rather go run at least 5 miles every day instead.

heidi said...

PS - Kate, I saw you when Hamilton was 5 days old, and I think you look fabulous! And Hamilton IS a newborn, silly, and will be as far as I'm concerned until he can sleep all the way through the night. That's how I measure things. :)

kate said...

Travis: First, I'm ditching the pig socks ASAP...good suggestion. Second, did you and Alex attend the same "Guilting Your Wife into Breastfeeding" seminar?

Heidi: HA! 200-500 sounds more like it! I guess I should stop eating my daily "500 calorie milkshake" now that I know I don't have those free calories.

Update: Hamilton must have felt bad about my blog because he had me get him out of his swing to join me while I did my leg/squat routine...the cutest 10 lb weight ever!

Ashley C. said...

Katie-

Thanks for the plug. We Connors are nice people.... and we should hang out with the Snyders...and we are practically begging. Wow.
For the record (and some lame empathy) my "baby" is almost two and I still hop on the scale and want to swear really long loud swear words! So dont feel bad.. you can really only start fretting when you think you should have another one and you forgot to lose the weight for the previous one. Cute baby. keep on travis and heidi for us.
Ashley

Ashley C. said...

ps- i guess by commenting you know that I stalk your blog! :)

phillip said...

Kate, everything you do burns at least 500 calories a day, and that includes putting on these pig socks, which make it possible to count each and every little piggie, including the one that went "wee, wee, wee, wee" all the way to the scales.

Megan said...

Hilarious, hilarious! I love your blog. And I feel your pain. I squashed my postpartum self into a pair of actual jeans today (2 sizes larger than usual, but at least they don't have an elastic waistband). The muffin top action is truly horrifying. Seems like every pregnancy ruins a new part of my body...

Oh, and the 500 calories thing has got to be the cruelest lie in the history of mankind. Ugh.