"If a brother can't do this once in his life for his sister...."
The "this" in the above statement is a big bathroom remodel and bedroom spruce up (see post below), and I'm not sure how many brothers out there would actually get behind that statement. Luckily for me, my brother Travis isn't your average sibling. So what did this remodel entail for him? Here's a small sampling:
*Ripping out the old stuff and making exciting discoveries like, "Wow! An asbestos pipe" and "No worries about joust direction...your floor is made of concrete."
*Letting his pointer finger marinate in Hamilton's mouth.
*Laying floor tile, shower floor tile, shower wall tile. I thought that tilers charged way too much...until I saw what it actually took to do it.
*Picking out the perfect paint colors, tile, lights...but doing it in such a way that Alex and I thought we actually chose it.
*Teaching me how to "cut in" while painting at about 1:30 am. My skills became so refined, I was able to get an entire wall painted in the time it took him to do the other seven.
*Letting me play DJ...spinning the hits while he worked.
*Acting as general contractor for the dry wall, electrical, plumbing, shower door, cabinets.
*Encouraging me to think about the possibility of purchasing food for my home. He managed to make 10 Frosted Mini-Wheats last four days.
*Putting up casings and baseboards in both rooms...that finish work makes me happy every time I go in there.
*Teaching Alex to cut tile. I heard the tile saw when I came home and couldn't believe when it was Alex running it. My little attorney taking a day off to get those hands dirty! [Insert joke here about lawyers always getting their hands dirty and/or what an "honest" day's work is for them.]
*Making a stay-at-home mommy feel less lonely when she came home and saw the Titan sitting outside. Sometimes I find myself still looking for it after practice...
*Sacrificing time with his own family....but he did make Luke very proud. Just ask Luke about the shower his daddy made.
*Taking some time for couch conversations with his sister.
Wow, huh?
Thank you, Travis!

7 comments:
way to go trav. maybe you and john could bond over a bathroom remodel at my house. katie- the bathroom looks amazing. i am so happy for you. and it surely must be awesome to have trav for a brother!
perhaps we could come visit sometime and see all that handiwork.
i always wanted a brother ... now i see i'm not just missing out on teasing but on remodel work too! :) ah, to be as lucky as you!! :) (you should just tell your brother that it made me tired just reading the list of things he did ... sheesh! :) )
gotta love that travis snyder.
That is the cutest picture ever!!! What a sweet brother! How long did it take him to do the remodeling?
She said all the nice things.
How about...
1. me sweating like a fat man in a sauna (no insulation in bathroom ceilings pre-remodel).
2. my behemoth daily 84 oz. Dr. Pepper/Pepsi combo.
3. Me making you clean out the daily mortar, concrete, grout bucket. (she looks at dishes affectionately now)
4. Cutting out the granite countop sink with Katie underneath waiting to catch the cut piece. (she had just showered and gotten ready for the day... was wearing two t-shirts wrapped around her head with safety glasses. At one point she yelled from under the cabinet, "I see sparks and something is hitting me... ahhhhh!" )
5. Walking in the bedroom to see me painting with my shirt off. (reference comment 1).
6. Katie taking daily care fo me by providing, Trader Joe's treats (aussie licorice, sushi, devil peanut butter pretzels, chocolate soy milk, and asian ice cream balls, muchi?), homemade cookies, and any other take out I desired.
-See FINALLY after all these years of being big sister Katie who is always there for her little bro. is paying off.
I would have still done it if you were a lame sister, but no couch conversations and I would have invoiced you at labor and cost plus 10% :)
Ashley...you and your family are always welcome...come get ideas for what you can make Travis and John do at your house.
Jami...turns out, putting up with the teasing eventually pays off.
Amy...about three weeks, believe or not.
Travis...your list does a lovely job of completing the remodel overview. I take great pride in my grout bucket skills and granite-exfoliated arms. And thanks for only charging me 9% above labor and cost.
I love that picture. And this remodel was done Travis style - good music, good conversation, good food, all during crazy hours. Trav taught me how to "cut in" at Tracey's house. Maybe we can start a painting business together. How cute would our boys be in painter overalls?
Post a Comment