Friday, October 10, 2008

Proposition 8


On Wednesday, I attended a fireside about Proposition 8.  You can watch some of it by going here and find some nice videos and basic information here.

That night Elder Ballard encouraged us to use the Internet, etc. to get our message out, and I thought about my little blog...only read by a few but hopefully we can get a "phone tree" effect going...

Since the California Supreme Court decision to allow gay marriage, I have become increasingly concerned about the future.  I have also become increasingly frustrated with false ideas associated with Proposition 8; for example, that it would take legal rights from homosexual couples, that it's just semantics so who cares, and that it's intolerant.  I have so appreciated the continual expression of love for everyone by the Church's General Authorities and representatives.  The Church has also stressed that it is not endorsing the revoking of domestic partnership benefits, like insurance, hospital visitation, survivorship, and so forth.  Having legal "gay marriages," however, infringes upon religious liberties (allowed beliefs, tax-exempt status, adoption, facilities use, and so on) and will create problems for children (how they are raised and what they are taught in school).

I know for some members of the Church, myself somewhat included, it has been difficult to take a stand on an issue they feel makes them a "bad" person.  However, tolerance is not blind approval and support, and as pointed out in Wednesday's fireside, is also not a one-way street.  I've hesitated putting a Yes on Prop 8 bumper sticker on my car for fear of what cross-country parents and athletes might think or say about me.  One of my favorite runners on the team is gay, and I've worried about offending him.  However, it has occured to me that the respect I afford him and his choices should be afforded to me as well.  I am disappointed that my desire to continue being "tolerant" and "nice" in their eyes has trumped what's most important to me. The reason I will be voting and encouraging others to vote for Proposition 8 is not intolerance, it's because of my faith, my religion...the foundation of who I am, the decisions I make, and the life I choose to lead.  Quoting from the First Presidency's letter to California wards:

"The Church's teachings and position on this moral issue are unequivocal. Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and the formation of families is central to the Creator's plan for His children. Children are entitled to be born within this bond of marriage. . . . We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage."

"Best efforts."  I am disappointed in my meager efforts...only a few hours thus far.  I am resolved to do more in this last month.  I would hope that others do the same.  I honestly believe that everyone's "best efforts" will result in Proposition 8's passing.  The Prophet and General Authorities regularly give us counsel, counsel that, if followed, will improve our characters and our lives.  It is not often, however, that we are counseled to rise up in support of something broader than our homes and wards.  We often praise our pioneer ancestors for faithfully giving up possessions and immigrating all while being scorned and even persecuted. Here is our opportunity to emulate the faith they showed by pulling figurative handcarts of our own...this time filled with phone lists, donations, blogs, and the same willingness to strive for our families, for our faith...NOT the world's approval.

And here's my first official "blog tag": I tag anyone who reads this to think of how they can make a difference in the Prop 8 effort...whether you blog, talk, call, something....

Click here to find a blog dedicated to Prop 8.

7 comments:

jami v. said...

thanks. just yesterday a group of moms in my playgroup (ward) were talking about this very thing. as always, you say it all so well and so powerfully.

(thanks for the "tag" :) i think, even those of us far away from california, know this is something that can - and will i'm sure - affect all of us at some time.i'm brainstorming as we speak.)

heidi said...

Great post, Kate. I want to send everyone I know to your blog. You say it so well. Even though I'm not in California, I still feel like there are things I can do to help.

Mer said...

Can I send you stuff for Prop 102 in AZ so you can wax eloquent for me? Nice post.

Trisha Paddock said...

Kate, this is so beautifully said!!! I have to agree with the 1st comment, "you say it so well!" Like Heidi, I would also like to send everyone I know to your blog! Very powerful!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mer said...

http://protectmarriage.com/article/first-graders-taken-to-san-francisco-city-hall-for-gay-wedding

Here's an article to peruse . . .

kate said...

saw that article...groan. and the anti-prop 8 people say gay marriage won't affect public schools....

Unknown said...

Good for you. I also am putting something on my blog. I hope that something that I say or do will help those Saints in California! Your an inspiration.