Thursday, November 13, 2008

Just when you thought it was over...

I had intended to write a blog inspired by this photo taken at the park yesterday...


or this one of Hamilton laying out after his 2nd time in a swimming pool (he LOVED it), but...

today Alex was sent an e-mail condemning his financial contribution to the Yes on 8 campaign and seeking to educate his bigoted ways.  This e-mail was also sent to the chairwoman of his law firm, so clearly the intention was less "education" and more intimidation and vindictiveness.  Of course, the letter was anonymous, so I guess their viewpoint is worthy of hurting my husband's career but not worth actually standing behind.  Tens of thousands of dollars of property damage has been done to Church property. Our Bishop had his front door spray painted with the word "bigot."  I am wondering when freedom of religion (a right actually IN the Constitution) became trumped by sexual preference.  Or when McCarthyistic behavior became acceptable again.  I have respected those views contrary to mine, expecting them to fight for their views, as I have mine.  Unfortunately, that respect has hardly been mutual.  It turns out that the group most eager to label people "intolerant" is proving the most intolerant of all. 

4 comments:

Johnathan and Mackenzie said...

Spot on

Treidi said...

hamilton=cute squishy man

prop 8 victims=getting very old

Snydely Yours said...

Oh my. Proposition 8 is turning out be a really nasty battlefield in the latest stage of the culture wars. I'm more than a little bit shocked. I voted against Prop. 8 because I do think that this is a civil rights issue (the paradox that new social movements are moving away from critiquing traditional institutions like marriage to linking social change to access to such institutions is an interesting historical twist). But let me get back to the point. Civil rights issues aside, what you described is appalling. It's perhaps the collatoral damage of a certain kind of passion, but it's damaging both to the cause activists want to advance as well as the larger sense of community.
On a brighter note, Hamilton is a really cute little guy: no longer "Baby," but rather "Boy Hamilton."

jami v. said...

what a mess, huh? i felt the same way as i watched the news and have seen pictures of the temple and other buildings (ah, your poor bishop) being "abused" - that of all the people who should understand what it's like to be picked on (in simple terms) they have become highly hypocritical in doing the same to others. it's all a little much.