I was still sighing over my good fortune--presents given and received, my cute husband and little boy, being with my family, warm homemade rolls, a white Christmas--when my dad casually asked me and my siblings, "So, did you guys get everything you wanted for Christmas?" I couldn't really answer the question because the twinkle in his eye immediately had me thinking of that same question being asked by the dad in our family favorite A Christmas Story. "What? Do you have a Red Ryder BB Gun stashed somewhere," I joked.
Well, I thought it was a joke. My dad directed Travis, Jackson, and me to look under the piano in his room; there we found three long rectangular packages which did indeed contain our very own Red Ryder BB guns. Except for the missing compass in the stock, we had ourselves received Ralphie's dream present. I felt like a little kid...and like my brothers were kids too. It was truly a magical Christmas moment.
I'm not good at much...I'm the one that always gets double bounced on the trampoline, gets stuck in a corner in Halo while I get shot over and over, curses down a mountain slope on disobedient skis, shoots a basketball like a girl, has her glasses knocked off in volleyball. I could go on and on. Well, here's an exception to the rule: it turns out that I'm a pretty good shot.
I've gotten on my soap box about gun control plenty of times, but maybe I was wrong. Getting a target in my sights and shooting it dead on is thrilling and thoroughly satisfying. I won the Best of 10 contest (8 of 10, including hard-to-hit disc...the missed shots were when I tried to get fancy) as well as a shoot--off with Travis. I can't remember the last time I got to really play with a Christmas present, but it was awesome. However, the most "awesome" part of this unexpected gift was its purpose: to let all three of us know that our dad will always come through for us.
We didn't need a bb gun to tell us that, Dad, but it does help me feel the truth of it a little deeper. Thank you, Dad. I miss you (and the shooting range) already.
sidenote: contrary to what the photo seems to indicate, I am not pregnant. The bros and I are all suffering from holiday belly.


3 comments:
I love that movie, what an awesome gift!
I just hope you were wearing you yellow shooter safety glasses that came in your deluxe Red Ryder package. As you well know, you mustn't shoot your eye out.
And I think it was wise not to mention that you and Travis opened the front door, pulled the front porch bench over in front of the door, placed empty cans and bottles on it for targets, and turned the entry way into a shooting gallery as you two mowed down the targets from the couch.
(For the record,I did put a stop to it when the little round bbs started ricocheting back into the house threatening three cute little grandsons.)
Oh, and be sure to drink your Ovaltine.
kate, one of these days i would love to meet your dad! :) i love it! what a perfect gift for grown-up kids. :) (because aren't we all just kids when it comes to christmas?)
i'm glad you had a great one ...
Post a Comment