Friday, January 23, 2009

I Want a Costco Churro


"Hello?"
"Hi. It's me. Tell me why I shouldn't get a Costco churro."
"Why? They're delicious."
"Wait.  You're supposed to talk me OUT of buying one!"
"Well, I confess I had a sugar donut today, so..."

So went the exchange between Alex and me this evening until I felt fairly guilt-free about having one despite the both of us being in a weight-loss/muscle-gain competition.  As I was standing there waiting to place the order, I saw the dad of a xc runner waiting for an order. There was just NO way I was going to talk to him with a 2 foot churro in my hand: "Yeah, I saw Coach Spjute.  Retirement maybe wasn't such a good idea.  She was IN her running clothes, but she was HOLDING a giant churro."  

This is my third attempt over the last several months to satisfy my persistent churro craving.  The last time I saw people from the ward.  Again, consuming a Costco churro is best done in anonymity.  And the time before that, the food court was closed for renovations.

My plan now is to get pregnant, wait until I'm showing, and then head to the Costco Food Court.  No one is going to begrudge a pregnant woman her churro...not even the pregnant woman herself.

7 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, just get the churro already. I will meet you there and keep you company while you eat it.

jami v. said...

i'm with your sally friend - just do it! :) otherwise one day it's going to consume you and you're going to end up eating a costco churro for breakfast, one for lunch and three for dinner. :) why not spread out the joy?! :)

Robin said...

Costco. When we say "Costco" we say it like the theme song of the "The Simpons" You know, "The Costco".

Churros do nothing for me. But the muffins - brother! And you can't buy one muffin, you have to buy 12.

Are you in anyway related to the Spjutes in Boise?

Whitney Rice said...

Now I have a craving for a costco churro... oh wait costco is no where near rexburg. Hold strong and this summer we can go to coscto and eat 3 of them each.

kate said...

Thanks everyone for all your support. I know I'll feel much less guilty when I finally cave in.

Of course now Sally has me thinking about Best Donut cruellers. Oh naughty pastries I love you so!

kate said...

Robin...My husband's father's cousins live in Boise. I guess if someone has the crazy last name Spjute, chances are there's a connection!

phillip said...

I've never even tasted a churro and now, knowing about your powerful churro addiction, I never will. Thanks for the warning.

(Kato--You remember how long it took to get me off frozen Little Debbie Cakes. We don't want to go through that again, so we? Plus, I doubt churros are any good frozen.)

By the way, I think the pregnancy plan is just brilliant. Seriously! I don't want the most important part of the post to play second fiddle to a Costco Churro.

Question: Do you have to buy Costco churros in bulk? That could really be a problem.