Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Favorite Things

Awhile ago Heidi wrote a blog entry on her favorite things...I am copying her for a little blog inspiration, so here are a few things that are making me happy right now.  And thanks Heidi (who, along with her boys, is always on my favorite things list)!

*Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.  Best cookbook ever.  The basis of the cookbook is that Americans have lost touch with the kitchen in favor of "convenience" food, so he's attempting to bring us back.  The recipes are easy to follow...almost like he was talking you through each one.  I'm having a great time trying out recipes from here.  My friend also told me he posts a weekly video on The New York Times website (he's a columnist there).

*Cardamom. It's the most expensive spice I've ever purchased (about $16!), but it's worth every penny.  I added a teaspoon to sugar cookies I didn't want to ice.  Result? YUM!

*Daniel Tosh. Alex and I saw this guy perform on Comedy Central and laughed like crazy.  He came last week to the Comedy and Magic Club, so we went.  Not disappointing.  Even the opening acts were pretty good.  Two tickets to the show: $40. Laughing for 2 hours on a weekday night: Priceless.  If you're curious, you can see some of his stuff on YouTube.  

*Babysitting Swap.  In this economy, who wants to always pay for a sitter AND the actual date? Not us!  Thank you Lowes and Brandons for helping us only spend money on ourselves when we go out.  

*Long Run Saturdays. Due to Hamilton's extreme aversion to the jogging stroller, I am relegated to the treadmill on the weekdays.  Alex, however, is wonderful about watching Hamilton on Saturday mornings while I run outdoors for a couple hours...so freeing (and tiring).  An unexpected benefit: Alex's increased understanding in how Hamilton can tire one out.  I love empathy!

*Psych. I wish I were one of those people without a TV.  I'm not.  I like mindless escape.  This show is a little gem on USA Friday nights.  Mystery, humor, and even a hint of future romance.

*Hamilton's "talking."  He says mama, dada, hi (to everyone), no, the beginning sound of a number of words, as well as animal sounds.  His no sounds like he has a European accent. These sounds are all soooo much better than the pterodactyl sounds he makes when he's in his car seat or I'm not quick enough about getting him out of the high chair.  

4 comments:

Heywood Clan said...

It was great seeing you and that very cute little boy of yours! I'm so glad we finally got together! We definitely have to do it again soon okay! Give Hamilton a hug for me! :)

jami v. said...

what a great list ... we, too, take advantage and love the babysitting swap. :) and it is fun when the little ones start to make real live noises/words that you can actually understand. :)

Snydely Yours said...

What kind of European accent? Does he sound more French or have that Eastern Slavic roll to his "no"? Linnea makes a sound that often sounds like "erreur." It makes me wonder if she feels that she has been placed in the wrong home. I will try feeding her brie as a further test.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.