Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Five Stitches: An Appropriate Follow-up to "Untitled"


I'll open this blog post up with a thanks to everyone who commented on- and off-line on "Untitled."  It's always nice to know that what you're feeling is 1. normal and 2. temporary.  The downside to writing about the minutiae of
mommyhood is that Fate/Karma is sorely tempted to "help" you out by giving you a very non-typical day.

Monday started out like most any normal Monday.  Yes, he was up too early, but that only meant we got to cuddle with our respective blankies and enjoy an episode of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" as we tried to wake-up enough to attack the day.  Hamilton and I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and began getting ready for our music class.  Step 1: Take a shower.  Both Hamilton and I really love to shower...especially thanks to Uncle Travis' renovation to the master bathroom.  For time's sake (and to keep my ever mischeiveous boy close at hand), we often share some shower time.  I had just put conditioner in my hair when Hamilton started crying, and I looked down to see that he'd slipped.  I quickly picked him up and tried to comfort him with the usual "It's ok" and "Was that scary?" and "You're alright."  After a couple of these phrases, I noticed a stream of blood making its way down his shoulder.  "Where in the world is this coming from?!"  I put my hand on the back of his head and felt what still makes me shudder-a big, ugly gash.  Without thinking much, I turned off the shower, grabbed a towel for his head, and got out, thinking, "I've got to get him to the ER."  And then I realized that neither one of us could go anywhere until we got dressed.  How could I get dressed and still hold him?  Do I take care of him or me first?  I felt like the worst mom in the world lying him down on the towel while I pulled on clothes and ran to get his diaper.  In the midst of this, I managed to call Alex who, knowing this was a very atypical time to call, answered with, "What's wrong? Are you ok?"  I had every intention of sounding calm and not scaring him, but, of course, I really started crying but managed to say something articulate enough to let him know what happened and where we were going.

My tough little Hamilton had basically stopped crying by the time I got him in the car...and, thankfully, his head had stopped bleeding as well.  The only other time the hospital seemed so far away was when I was in labor.  I walked in, relieved to see an empty waiting room and a bunch of nurses sitting at the admit desk.  After telling them to expect a worried daddy, we went back to a room.  All the doctors, nurses, registration people were soooo nice, comforting, and clearly competent.  Alex arrived in time for the stitches, which required Hamilton's being velcro strapped into a "papoose"  with his head held still by a nurse.  Now for a kid that can barely stand the containment of holding hands in a parking lot, this was pure torture.  He cried so hard, he burst little vessels in his face and neck that now look like pink freckles.  Around this time, I started crying again myself (I had to this point been--outwardly--super tough at the ER).  And, in the midst of taking care of Hamilton, the doctor and nurses tried to make me feel better.  Five stitches later, Hamilton was freed and much, much happier, especially with promises of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and donuts...both of which he enjoyed with Mommy and Daddy back at home as he acted his usual self (i.e. jumping around and making sure his daddy sat by him).

I hereby promise to be more appreciative of my monotonous mommy days.
 

                                                  

9 comments:

AsK said...

Wow! That is crazy. I'm so glad you and Hamilton are ok. Hamilton now has an awesome battle scar to share with the ladies in 20 years.
-Adam

Hi Lowe! said...

Oh, Kate! Oh, Hamilton! I'm sorry! Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the regular-ness of life. I remember when Sarah had to be strapped in the "papoose" for her forehead stitches.... NO FUN! I'm sorry again! Let me know if you want to come over, or need a break or anything... =)

jackie boy said...

I am so glad he is ok! I am also so proud of the little guy for being brave and you as well kate. You may not think it but you were far calmer than i would be in the situation...can't wait to see you kids!

Sally said...

Oh man! How scary. I am sorry for little man Hamilton and for you, too. I know what that is like when you first see that bright red blood on your child. Terrible. The same (exactly the same) thing happened with me and Laine (shower, head injury, lots of blood). I will tell you about it sometime.

It's good that you blogged about this. In the future it will remind you of what an awesome mom you are. :)

Redrock Relay said...

Someone got taken to the ER and I wasn't within a 20 ft. radius...

what is the world coming to?

ps. kudos to hambone for beating both my boys in the stitches dept. Thank goodness!

Shannon said...

Sorry to hear. At least his scar should be out of sight. Remind him of this if he ever wants to shave his head. Kaeleigh had to get stitches on her forehead and they put her arms in a pillowcase behind her back so she was laying on the pillow case-make sense? I cry every time my kids get stitches. I just can't stand not being able to take that pain and "scared" feeling away from them. I am afraid of needles myself, so I am not able to lie and give the usual "it's ok" comments, because it is SO NOT OK! Maybe next time, take a bath if you have more time.

kate said...

Adam- The scar will definitely work with the ladies.

Jeni - if it can happen at the Lowe house, it can happen anywhere :).

Jack - Hamilton is super happy to have impressed you. He hopes to continue that trend in a couple weeks.

Sally - Why doesn't anyone warn you of "shower danger"?

Trav - YOU may not have been there...but it was YOUR tile that did it. Just saying...

Shannon - I guess when we say "It' alright," we mean...eventually it will be.

Heywood Clan said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry! Poor little guy! Good job being so brave! I think I would have freaked out! Luckily, (knock on wood) we haven't experienced stitches yet. I'm sure that day will come.

jami v. said...

yikes! that is such a scary thing to have happen. it does make you appreciate the "quiet" days. :)cole and i experienced pretty much the exact same thing (although you sounded more calm, hamilton let you put something on his head, and we didn't do the strapped down thing - i had to hold him). all scary, all crazy motherhood, but i'll tell you it just prepares you for the next time. yes, there will be a next time. :)