We arrived around 9-ish at the hotel, hungry and desperate to do laundry. Pizza and a washing machine were quickly called into play. Pictured below is the #1 super fan of luggage carts...one day I'll put together a montage of all the carts he's climbed and ridden on. The desk clerk said, "Gosh, he's cute" and I thought she was talking about Beckett. Gotta give Hambone more credit, especially when in tight snuggle jammies.

My other boys...

We slept in, had breakfast, and made our way to the hotel pool where we enjoyed a "you just can't win" moment. The coolest day we've experienced + a freezing pool. Not fair. I would have paid $300 to go in a freezing pool in the middle of the DC Mall. Ah well. We stuck it out for Hamilton, who is also the #1 fan of hotel pools.
After some lunch, we headed to Monticello for our afternoon appointment. I was really looking forward to visiting this beautiful, famous home of Thomas Jefferson, who also, of course, designed it. The grounds and views were breathtaking. It reminded me that I once declared, "I have to live somewhere green and that has seasons." And here I am in Southern California. Ah, well.
This is his farm. His home was pretty self-sustaining.

Rare sight of both boys in the stroller. There was a good reason for it: Alex had purchased a bottle of root beer that was being shared by everyone. A kid saw us drinking it and, scandalized, exclaimed to his parents, "Look, Dad! That kid is drinking beer!" Yeah, I wish... :).

Playing the masters of an estate...this was a little room in the garden.

Me and my little boys...

And with my sweetie Boo Boo Beckett...

Surveying the land and enjoying his pacifier (poor thing really needed it this trip!)...

Another Spjute boy looking pensive on the grounds...

Walking around the grounds while we wait for our tour time...

Fast forward about 40 minutes. This is my view of the house after I'd been kicked out of it:

There is no touching anything inside, a rule that proved impossible for two tired yet active boys. We didn't even make it through the entryway before a tour guide boss was on us. I had what amounted to a small nervous breakdown as I dragged them outside, repeating over and over as the tour boss followed us, "We're going...we're going! Ok? We're going!" Luckily, there were crowds around, so I used the peer pressure to help me resist chucking both of them over the railing. And, truth be told, it made historical sense that a Hamilton wouldn't behave in a Jefferson home, so that's a little on me and Alex. Beckett I can't explain...an archbishop and playwright should have been cool with it... Anyway, I also let Hamilton play games on my iPhone, something I only use in emergency situations, so my breathing and maternal instincts eventually returned to normal.
By then Alex had finished the tour, so I could go through myself. I almost didn't go because I was soooo embarrassed about losing it. Luckily, I did and discovered that fellow moms understand and empathize more often than they judge. Whew! Bonus: my tour guide ended up being more awesome than Alex's, so I came out with tons of cool facts, etc. If you get the chance to go, you should. It's definitely one of my favorite historical residences. So interesting, so beautiful.
While I was inside, the boys did what little boys should be doing...playing on a big lawn.

Thomas Jefferson's grave...

And back down to bathrooms, a stop at the gift shop, and an air conditioned car...

I left Monticello, like Mount Vernon, feeling grateful for these Founding Fathers that contributed so much to our country, rather than doing what brought them the most joy, staying at home and being farmers.
4 comments:
Thank Goodness for blogging and facebook so Hamilton can still crack me up! Your posts are also putting D.C. area very high on my travel list!
You make me laugh. I love the story of getting kicked out of Jefferson's home and giving your kids beer. What kind of Mormon ARE you?
what kind? the not boring kind :).
wow. i'm loving your trip! and i LOVE your photos. you've got some amazing shots ....
Post a Comment