Today's adventure was our making lemonade from lemons, namely that my sister-in-law and niece were out of town, so we had a day to squeeze something unplanned in. We opted for Colonial Williamsburg. I had really great memories of coming here as a kid:
Doesn't it look like I'm having a fabulous time? Where else can one don this headwear and become a part of a colonial community? If you haven't been to Williamsburg, it is a whole town that operates as if in colonial days. People are in costume and character. For instance, one woman asked about Hamilton's name, "Is he named for Alexander Hamilton? Yes? Hmmm...I named my tomcat Hamilton." She also responded historically and humorously to Hamilton's then declaring himself to be a pirate. It is really awesome.
We spotted this carriage once we entered the actual town. I was excited to score a trip on it, especially because it would be one thing our little guys would appreciate here. Unfortunately, this was the last we'd see of the horses. They were stabled after this ride due to the heat. PETA, fortunately, only worries about animals, not kids, so we pressed forward.
This is the Governor's Mansion. Loved it inside and out. We almost made it through the entire tour, which I think is pretty good. There was an awful woman inside who gave Beckett a really dirty look when he brushed past her. Who can look at that little face and still manage to feel disdain? She, of course, was the one to cause the most commotion when she loudly dropped a cane. Humph.
There are actual working workshops throughout the town. Here is the blacksmith. This guy is seriously doing smith work. Remember, it is HOT. I love to see that this colonial craftsmanship has not been lost.
The photo op I was most looking forward to was the public stocks. Here's my cute family, my dad apparently most deserving of punishment.
And the current patriarch of my home suffering a similar fate, with Hamilton playing the onlooker role perfectly.
Me in the stocks, probably being punished here for my humidity-induced crankiness.
This is the most Hamilton was willing to be punished. Smart kid.
I wasn't the only one dealing with the heat...
A similar face found on Travis here, but I think his was more big sister related.
And my own little boy, decades later, posing by a picket fence.
Hamilton has been wanting to climb trees since he was Beckett's age. We actually found some decent ones here.
I admit that up to this point, we had been having an okay time, but I hadn't really felt the magic of Williamsburg. Luckily we stumbled on some fiddling and dancing. Hamilton had a pipe at this point, so he played along. And Beckett tried to join in the dancing. Notice that the women here respond appropriately to him: smiles and "oh, he's adorable!"
Our attention was suddenly directed away from the townspeople when a horse came galloping (and I mean, seriously galloping) down the street. It was Lafayette! He talked about battles occuring and what we needed to do. Naturally, there was much "Huzzah-ing" as a result. Interesting fact learned during this performance: Lafayette was in his early twenties when he came to our aid in the Revolutionary War. Craziness.
I got the courage (I am strangely shy about this stuff) to ask some townspeople to pose for a picture. Where is Hamilton? No clue. Beckett's thrilled though.
Our last view of Williamsburg. Appropriate since Beckett fell in love with a stuffed one of these at a town store. We purchased it, of course.
All in all a good day. I know the kids would appreciate it more when they're older and when the heat/humidity isn't so beastly, but Alex and I figured that we can't put life and opportunities on hold forever. Glad we went. Huzzah!
1 comment:
So fun to see those old pictures of your 80s visit!
Post a Comment