Friday, October 21, 2011

Ah, Motherhood

I have posts to write about whale watching, the fair, pumpkin patches, a family reunion at Disneyland, and on and on. However, I thought this little rundown of recent events was a good follow-up to my last entry...especially in case anyone was thinking I am a super awesome mom (pssst...I'm not) and motherhood is a romantic dream (spoiler alert: it's not).

Yesterday I had to go to Costco to pick up a few things for our Mommy and Me class dinner, which, I'd, of course, decided to make almost completely from scratch. Hamilton was soon moved from sitting next to Beckett to the basket due to hitting and general "messing with" behavior. This was quickly followed by complete cart expulsion. So, I was pushing the cart with one hand, while dragging a screaming/crying Hamilton behind me. I wadded through a thick jungle of shoppers and judgement but ultimately made it out to the car. Whew! Or was it?

This morning, in our rushed "preschool pumpkin patch field trip" departure, I discovered that my wallet was nowhere to be found. My heart sank as I thought, "I left it in the cart." Misbehaving kids and subsequent eye twitches tend to distract one from minor matters like remembering a wallet with all your major credit cards, health insurance cards, Disneyland passes, and driver's license. I called Costco as soon as it opened, but no luck. My heart sank further as I called Alex, who was actually super nice about it. After some pumpkin patch fun, I buckled my grumpy boys into their seats and opened the trunk for one last look before I declared the wallet "officially lost." It was there!!!!! So, so, so, so relieved. It was imagining me and the boys at the DMV that had really had me close to an ulcer.

I triumphantly showed the boys the wallet and declared I'd buy a round of Halloween Happy Meals to celebrate.

We happily (how apropos) ate lunch at the table together...until Beckett started choking a little on something and threw up everything he'd eaten and (based on the amount) everything he'd considered eating in the last 24 hours. Meanwhile, Hamilton had retired to the bathroom and was calling, "I'm done!! I'm done," so I could help with clean-up.

*Sigh*

While I pulled out a second "toddler wipe," I thought to myself, "Maybe those 'occupy wall street' people aren't the naive, whiny morons I've been labeling them. I really should be making 30 million a year doing this job. Those darn, greedy CEO's don't this!"

4 comments:

Sally said...

1. Awesome halloween blog design

2. Awesome post

3. I'm so sorry about the barf and potty simultaneous slow-motion mom torture play at McDs. If I had been there I would have been happy to wipe either boy up and help you.

kate said...

We were at home. Drive-thru is one of my best friends.

kate said...

And I should be clear that Hamilton had no accident or mess of any kind. It was a #2 situation...I was just wary of writing in that detail. In the comments it's ok though.

jami v. said...

hilarious! motherhood doesn't get much better than that!! hehehe

so, SO glad your wallet was in your car. thinking about taking ANY amount of kids to a dmv puts me over the edge. glad you didn't have to do it! :)