Friday, December 30, 2011

Four Years Old!

On Sunday, December 30th, 2007, this little guy came into our world:



Four years later, I'm living with this little man:


Four. Years. Old.

When I kissed Hamilton good-night last night, I said good-bye to three-year-old Hamilton with a pang in my heart. The bittersweet part of being a parent of little ones is seeing them grow and become more and more themselves while saying good-bye to versions of them you'll never see again. Many moments come when I wish he were at school all day or able to be more independent. Of course, I do. I'm a normal mom. But now that "school age" is approaching, I'm searching for the brakes on this growing-up train. In my mind, "5" means he'll no longer be my little boy. He'll be my "big boy." That leaves one more year to live with little Hamilton. I'm determined to soak it up and try to enjoy the four-old cuteness and gracefully survive the four-old "argh's!"

Travis once remarked that one day you'll be holding his hand for the last time, but you won't know it's the last time. I guess that means I'll be crossing a lot of streets and parking lots this year...to make sure I get to hold that little hand as much as possible.


*a more celebratory birthday post on the boys' blog...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That just made me cry. You're so right - they grow so fast when we are enjoying them....and so slowly when we want them in school. It is hard to find a balance but we need to hold tight to the good times.

Happy birthday to Hamilton! I cannot believe he is 4 already! Hunter is just around the corner!!

Good job on getting him to 4. 3 is HARD.

Hi Lowe! said...

awww... Happy Birthday Hamilton! The quote from Travis...makes me want to do some more parking lot/street walking too! :)