Monday, April 16, 2012

Some Random Parenting Advice

I thought my keyboard or computer would self-destruct as I typed the title of this post. Ridiculous. Who am I to offer advice? I feel like a pretty on-par or sub-par mom most of the time. But perhaps these tips are a reflection of that: me trying to be better or me trying to survive each day. :)

1. Have an easy organization system for toys. This is for clutter purposes, of course, but mostly I like it because it makes it possible for the kids to clean up "correctly." A side benefit of asking your kids to pick-up is it usually turns into "play," and they are happily out of your hair for awhile. *Note: also have a place where you can lock up toys/make them inaccessible...game and puzzle pieces scattered about make me CRAZY.

2. When your kids are old enough, bathtime can be a great opportunity to 1. be productive OR 2. just sit back and enjoy them. It also often gets us happily to bedtime rather than via my nervous breakdown. My boys are 4 and 2 now, so they don't need me hanging over the tub keeping them safe. I definitely don't head downstairs to watch TV, but I will move in and out of the bathroom. (They know to answer when I call out, "Are you ok?") Productive activities include: folding laundry, picking up their room (when it needs to be done fast!), checking e-mail (ok...not totally productive), getting ready myself (for Sunday morning bathtime), and even cleaning the bathroom. Sometimes, though, I make myself leave the "to do's" and my stupid phone in another room. Bathtime is probably where the boys first started to really play together. They are so funny, and I love to see them negotiate and imagine with each other. Definitely not a waste of time.

3. Say "yes" to crazy stuff, if it's not really a big deal. It makes them happy and makes it so you're not always the bad guy and the one saying "no." Today Hamilton wanted to bring all the stuffed animals down to watch a movie with his buddy. At first I said, "No. Just one each," and then thought, "Wait. Why not? Why shouldn't he play with his toys?" Later in the evening, Hamilton and Beckett got to watch a show (shower opportunity...don't judge me too harshly), and Hamilton added Beckett's blankets and Pluto pillow (sweet older brother move there--yea!). Don't they look adorable? Per Hamilton's instruction, we later had FHE sitting on all the animals. The game was then putting all the animals back in their bins. Pretty cool, right?


4. Hooray for sectioned plates! Turns out Hamilton doesn't like his food items to touch or be too closely associated with one another. This was actually an awesome discovery, as it helped me realize why he would ask for "pancakes and eggs" for breakfast and then freak out when I presented them on one plate. Another reason I like these plates is it encourages me to make better, healthier lunches and dinners. I mean, I have to fill all those sections, right? Tonight, the boys had pizza as a main course (thanks, Costco!). Hamilton directed me where to put the other items: strawberries and grapes. Yea!


5. Non-smiling photos are just as precious. I took the picture below of Beckett after church on Sunday because I thought he looked crazy cute (of course, when don't I think that about him?). I was a little frustrated that he wasn't into the quick photo shoot, but I appreciate having this one more. If your kids are only ever smiling in photos, you'll forget what 85% of your days were like. :) Plus, he's still, clearly, crazy cute.

3 comments:

Mer said...

Good Stuff! Thx.

jami v. said...

awesome reminders! :):)

Unknown said...

'he is super duper cute. You're a great mom. These are hard years.