Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Superhero Birthday Party!

Well, it's May 29th today.  So, I guess blogging about the Superhero Birthday Party that happened in February falls under the "better late than never" category (as will subsequent entries...quite a backlog over here).

Hamilton's birthday is December 30th, so, obviously, he'll never have a party too close to his actual birthday.  This year a variety of things pushed it into February (Becks' birthday month), so it just made sense to make it a party for both boys.  I was in a crafty, "I heart Pinterest," and post-holiday-I-hate-buying-stuff kind of a mood when I planned it, so it ended up being quite a bit of work but a lot of fun.  I'll discuss as we make our way through the 17 photos...

 Cupcakes! I should have gotten color paste to make the icing less "baby pastels," but Alex was really proud of me for only making the icing (marshmallow) from scratch.  In the background, you can see our "superhero obstacle course." The kids had to jump through hoops, crawl through a tunnel, and throw balls at "bad guys" (snakes, Dracula, and an evil robot). (break: i am HATING this new format...frustration may end this blog now...)
 

 

Here are my cute boys in their birthday shirts, doing what they do best...be goofballs. :)
   

The other activity the kids did was make superhero capes.  I found a "no-sew" felt cape pattern, then I hand embroidered like 20 different superhero emblems for the kids to fabric glue onto their choice of cape. Spiderman took over an hour, so there were only two of those!

Of course, we had the "grand finale" be a pinata.  It was a big, evil dragon the little superheroes had to defeat.  Hamilton, clearly, wants to make REALLY sure it's been defeated.


Hamilton and his church pal Kieran and preschool buddy Jack.


Aiden and Hamilton racing to the obstacle course...

We also had a "Super Strength" "photo op."  The kids had fun posing and showing what strong muscles they had.  Of course, I didn't get one of Beckett, so he had to do a private shoot back at home (where is that picture? umm....?).









The kids seemed to have a good time.  They also got to take home a "Superhero Soundtrack," which concluded with Footloose's "Holding Out for a Hero," so my priority of entertaining myself remains a top one.

The downside to being "in charge" of your own party is that you miss out on enjoying it and watching your own kids have a good time.  For example, Alex was barbequing the majority of the time (sidenote: an evil seagull stole my hamburger), and there were a couple moments where we lost Beckett. Sheesh.  So, maybe next year...Chucky Cheese?  Of course, I was pretty proud of those capes...

1 comment:

jami v. said...

i'm pretty impressed with EVERY aspect of that party! holy cow!! you take the cake/cupcake/superhero award for an amazing party! i love it all!! (ps - i thought the same thing about hosting parties, when we had a get-together for memorial day with friends and jason told me he didn't get to talk to anyone, other than ask how they wanted their burgers done :( )