Monday, August 13, 2012

Let the Nesting Begin!

I still "owe" this blog Friday Update and Utah Trip posts, but I'm feeling a little "high" from some recent organization endeavors.  I suffer from two contradictory conditions: Pack Rat and Organizer.  The "pack rat" side of me is largely based on my emotional attachment to inanimate objects. Like, I used to feel terrible throwing something from my school lunch away..."But my mom packed this for me! She loves me and spent time doing this!" It's an exhausting condition ;).  The "organizer" in me longs, longs, longs for a house where everything has its place.  Lately, the boys' closet and our third bedroom have been giving me minor panic attacks.  And with a baby on the way, those attacks have been in the back of my mind pretty constantly. 

My friend Megan (yea! Megan!!! Woot! Woot!) is watching my boys for about 7 hours today, so I could make some headway.  Six hours in, and I'm taking a "blogging break" to bask in my progress so far.

Sunday was actually spent doing the boys' closet.  I've organized this space before, but not the entire thing...plus since then babysitters and family have let the boys run free through it, so games, puzzles, etc. have been disorganized. Gives me shivers. 

Here's my big boy helper Hamilton helping put together some IKEA shelving:

Here are the "before and after's."  It's actually a more dramatic difference in real life.  One can now walk in and about the closet, no problem.





 Today was all about tackling this third bedroom, which I have high hopes of turning into an adorable nursery.  Before today the only progress has been putting the nursery furniture in here, along with any other junk we haven't felt like dealing with. Ugh.  This poor room really deserves its own identity. It's been a haphazard office, a crowded guestbedroom/office, and now storage room....and always the place where "stuff" collects.


The closet isn't much better...

I did these bookshelves a couple months ago. They were IN the room before, so I was pretty stoked about getting them moved in here, books categorized and alphabetized, of course.
 And...TADA! Here's the room now! And no, the rest of my house isn't a disaster now.  There's been plenty of purging and reorganization.

And the closet! The shelf on the left was in the room this morning...and now it's in its new home. :)
Not too shabby, eh?

Projects left to do...hang some pics and a stuffed animal hammock in the boys' room and go through/store clothes they've outgrown.  Alex's dad and stepmom are taking the boys for a few days next week, so I'm hoping between spontaneous dates (yea! so did not appreciate these pre-kids), I also hope to get the nursery painted and furniture set-up.

And, yes, eventually I'll clean a bathroom or two. (boring)

2 comments:

Streett's said...

Nice Work!! I'm inspired... too bad it's 10pm, otherwise I would be all over my closets now ;)

jami v. said...

I am like you--a good mix of "don't get rid of that, I know I'll use it for something" and the need to be clean and orderly. It seriously makes my heart happy to see your progress--like it was my progress or something. :) hehehe good job, lady!!! :)