Creating "nests" has now turned into building "hideouts." Alex rightly pointed out that it is merely a pile of everything soft in our house (pillows, blankets, stuffed animals), but try to convince the boys of that. I once made the mistake of showing them how to use a blanket to turn their bunk bed into a fort. Hamilton was disgusted. He is not disgusted, however, that I let him do this. When I made him put it all away on Monday, but explained he could do it all again the next day, he beamed. Beamed, people.
This week also saw a return to our Adventure Wednesdays. This week we headed to The Getty, which I've not been to in years. The boys and I "took turns" enjoying the museum. The played, ran, and explored outside then they climbed in the stroller for my turn in the galleries (I just chose 2 exhibits...Herb Ritts and paintings). It must have been a good strategy because we stayed almost 4.5 hours, and I didn't leave thinking, "Never again!!":)
A couple Hamilton highlights...I pointed out three painting hanging on the wall and asked him which one he liked best, which one stood out the most. He pointed at the middle one and pronounced, "Van Gogh!" He was right...it was "Irises." Another Impressionist fan for you, Mama. :)
Hamilton also took strong notice of a picture of Christ...just his face and wearing the crown of thorns. At first he was excited to recognize Jesus, then he was seriously wondering, "What's wrong? Why is there blood?" This came up later in the car, as well, so it definitely made an impression. Interesting. And also intimidating to be answering heavy questions already!
The boys played hide and seek in this area for awhile.
You can't tell, but they're looking at a waterfall. We went up and down this path, stopping each time the waterfall crossed our path.
Sincere smiles...we were cracking up trying to get all of us in the picture.
Kinda bummed when this maze turned out to be one you just looked at. (Hey, Getty, maybe lose the photo in your brochure where a person is actually standing in the maze. Very misleading. Sincerely, Mom who had to explain 20x to her kids they could not jump into the maze).
I texted this photo to Alex with the words, "We see you!" :)
Between being pregnant and being a fan of the Olympics, I'm feeling pretty rundown these days. Rather than letting the TV do the work during the long final march to bedtime (although, pssst..confession: the TV is why I can blog right now), I've been trying to get out and do something. One evening we walked over to a nearby park. Not a bad time killer :).
Thursday we met up with friends at the Annenberg Beach House in Santa Monica. It's pretty cool...there's a beach, a pool, play equipment, a splash pad, and a cafe. It's reasonably priced, and having to make reservations in advance ensures the pool isn't overly crowded. Being in a swimsuit makes me pretty sad, but playing in the pool with my cutie boys was awesome. Plus celeb sighting! Chad Lowe! Would have been even cooler if he hadn't smiled at me knowingly ("Yeah, hi. You recognized me then told your friend. Settle down.")
If one time at the beach is nice, than twice is even better? Here's our time killer for Thursday night:
Tonight we're going with a bunch of friends to a Dodger game! And here are the pics!
Kieran and Hamilton. They laughed pretty much the whole time. These dudes have been going to games together since....forever?
We've lucked out and had some pretty sweet seats this season. Of course, the most exciting game, we're the farthest away. hahahahah. Not bad for $6/ticket though, eh?? And is there or is there not something totally magical about a baseball field? Love it.
Our group took up two rows (not including the nice Tawianese couple directly behind us). I'd like to think I look better and less enormous in "real life," but this is probably (and sadly) untrue.
Beckett had a red sucker and wanted to see if his tongue was red. My iPhone camera was our best "mirror," and we accidentally took a picture.
Dodgers beat the Cubs by 5 runs; it was great to see Kemp and Ethier playing alongside some great, last-minute trades. (sidenote: I have a soft spot for the Cubbies, so it felt a little bad beating them) Because it was a Friday night game, we got fireworks after. This is family life in LA...I love it! :)
Facebook Statuses:
- Marriage tip of the day: When your wife tells you she had a horrible dream in which you asked her for a divorce, refrain from variations of the following response, "Did it come as a surprise? I'd like a happy marriage...every marriage is going to need some work."
- For better or worse, a guaranteed way to have your kids independently play together for an hour+ is to ask them to "clean up."
- Hamilton: "Mom, does Daddy have the Force or the priesthood?"
- I went to bed at 9pm last night. And I've been telling myself all day not to freak out about this "strange and unusual feeling" I'm experiencing. It's called "well-rested."





















2 comments:
Where to begin... I love all the fun things you do with your kids. I told my kids we were going to have "traveling Thursdays" and find somewhere fun to go every week. Lasted one week. I can't stand the heat and we havent done it. I'm so bad!!! So you are my hero for all the fun memories you are making with your boys. And I laughed out loud at your faceBook status list. Hilarious!
Reality check: SoCal has great weather and tons of cool stuff to do. It also has crazy expensive property, which means we have a small 1500 sq ft condo. So...you're darn right we get out...survival, baby! And I've naturally left out the part at the Getty where I roughly pull H out of the fountain he had his hands splashing in.
Post a Comment