Monday, September 24, 2012

Week in Review: 8/20-8/26

Monday, August 20th

The summer Disneyland blackout is over! The awful day I had in June there is a fading memory!  So, yeah...we joined our friends The Smiths (no...not the band, but wouldn't it be awesome to have a pic of you, Morrissey, and Mickey?).  One of Hamilton's great joys is going on rides by himself or with just a buddy.  He isn't allowed to do this on many rides, but when he has the chance...he takes it!


Another of Hamilton's great joys is Splash Mountain.  So, going to Disneyland with a too-short brother and pregnant mommy is kind of a bummer.  Luckily, Julia was up for taking the big boys on it.  The little dudes and I visited some 100 Acre Woods characters and went on Winnie the Pooh, which is (conveniently) one of Beckett's favorites.  Colin is not pictured with the characters because he preferred to wave from a safer distance.




Carsland!  Well, I'm glad the seemingly endless construction is over, but I'm not 100% sold on this part of the park.  Although, I realize that hot weather and crowds make my opinion slightly unfair.  The tractor ride, I must admit, is pretty darn fun...much cooler than it looks.




Luigi's Tires is ho-hum, but a lot of the ride is in an air conditioned building. Yea!

Stop. We interrupt this Disneyland day to announce the birth of Snyder nephew #3!! Henry Travis Snyder.  Hank for short.   Everything went really well, and I absolutely cannot wait to meet this boy.  I adore his older brothers, and word on the street is that this one is a big sweetie pie.


 We ended our day in the late afternoon...too darn hot and crowded.  Julia always lets her kids get a treat on the way out.  My boys opted for root beer floats (total fans since national Root Beer Float Day). I got two not wanting to deal with sharing, but not thinking they'd drink it all.  Um, they did.  Sidenote: This was our new double jogger's debut at Disneyland. Sooooo much nicer than the Sit 'n' Stand, which had become a bootcamp-level-workout.


Tuesday, August 21st

Nana Linda sent the boys a fun package: A Lightening McQueen tent and a game.  Hooray for entertaining the boys! :)


Wednesday, August 22nd

Our last official Beach Day with our ward friends.  No pics, as sometimes I enjoy the freedom of NOT having my phone or camera with me.  We spent 3 hours there, and it's easy to see the result of playing hard in the sun.  I am so, so glad we took advantage of the beach this summer!  It was great for me and the boys.  We should try and squeeze in a few more trips, as long as this hot weather (which I actually HATE and am SO sick of) continues.
 

I saw this vanity plate and just HAD to snap a photo. Ridiculous.  I naturally posted it on Facebook with the caption "My Subaru's license plate says, 'OK Wife.'"


Thursday, August 23rd

Today Alex's dad and Dale came over for lunch, and then took our boys up to Clovis for the weekend. Wait. What?? You had a whole weekend to yourselves?? Yep.  I was pretty darn reticent about the whole idea.  The last time their car pulled away with my progeny, it was Hamilton about 10 minutes after we came home from the hospital with Beckett. It was traumatic for lots of reasons, and I hated it.  However, I'm really glad we agreed to it.  The boys had a total blast and were returned safe and sound.  I enjoyed some productive time painting the nursery, and Alex and I went out every night.  That was my goal.  Remember before kids how you'd sometimes say, "Nah, let's stay in and just watch a movie." Well, guess what? Post-kids that's your only option 98% of the time.  So, while the boys were gone, I was determined to seize the day.

It was really weird driving around with an empty backseat.

The first night we spent a few hours at Disneyland. Why not??

Far from my best score...but look! We're on a ride together?!

Friday, August 24th

Alex's brother and his wife were in town to go to Disneyland and wanted to get together.  They were nice enough to drive up for dinner with their little guy Gavin.  After dinner, we went to The Expendables, Again, why not?

Saturday, August 25th

The morning was spent at a memorial service for a member of our ward, Leo Partridge.  He was 100 and an amazing example of testimony and kindness.  I'm glad we got to take him to church once or twice and visit him at his home.  He's a wonderful man, and the service made me admire him even more.

We did a little bit of work around the house in the afternoon, but nothing too crazy. We even watched an episode of Bones while we ate lunch.  Why? Because we could. 


In the evening, we went out to a great French place near downtown.  I could have licked the foie gras right out of its little jar. Yum.

Sunday, August 26th

Alex and I drove to the other side of the Grapevine to pick up our monkeys.  Another lovely space of time visiting just the two of us.  I highly recommend a weekend at home without your kids...even more than a "getaway," it helped remind you what it is to be a couple...what you were before kids and what you'll be after kids.  I am a pretty big fan of Alex, but it's really easy to get stuck in "mom-dad" mode and forget your super fan status.

We were happy to see the boys and hear about their adventures: water park, zoo, hot tub.  I could only tell Beckett missed me because for the next few days he was not stoked about getting left anywhere without me.  Kind of satisfying as a mom :).

Facebook
  •  Any advice for regular bad dreams? H (4.5) has been waking up in the middle of the night fairly regularly and refusing to go back to his bed. This morning I found him asleep on a pile of "to be donated" clothes. :( Spiders are the theme.
  • Me: I know you'll have a good time with Grandpa and Gammie, but I'm really going to miss you.
    Hamilton (with appropriate dismissive hand gesture): don't even worry about it. We'll be fine.
  • Is feeling pretty weird without her sidekicks. [It's true...I think I paced around my house for like 20 minutes after they left before I convinced myself I could just hop in the car and do an errand.]
  • With my original sidekick :) — at Disney California Adventure. 
     
    •  Watching Lance Armstrong win those Tours is one of my favorite sports memories. Remember when that bag caught his bike? Or when he off-roaded to avoid a crash? Or that rainy time trial? Or even just knowing it was July when Phil Liggett's and Paul Sherwin's voices echoed through the house? And it all meant a little more because Lance started winning when cancer crept into our family. It's probably wrong and many will disagree, but I'm not letting any decision by the USADA change those experiences for me. Watching stages together on a tiny TV in Travis' and Heidi's BYU apartment or waking up early & chatting on the phone during live coverage WAS pure. And always will be.
    • Why painting kind of sucks: 3 hours to prep/cut-in/do corners, then just 90 minutes to paint roller the whole stinking room. Baby's worth it, of course. :)
    • I did some serious research last night and have concluded that the most watchable action hero actors are Jason Statham and Bruce Willis. You're welcome.
    • Third date night in a row :) so spoiled...time with Alex and amazing food. — at Church & State.
    • Dear couch cushions, Haven't the last couple days been been nice? You know, lounging around undisturbed? Well, I'm off to pick up the boys now. The floor's vacuumed and ready for you...     
      

No comments: