Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Projects

Disclaimer: The following blog reflects my new stay-at-home status as it reveals one of the "projects" I've assigned myself in lieu of coaching, grading papers, planning lessons, and being able to leave the house whenever I want.  Please don't judge me as too boring.

Alex and I have three different bedding sets we use throughout the year (and by "we," I, of course, mean "I," but I technically share the bed with Alex).  One is a yellow quilt we got for our wedding. I thought it would be easy to find accent pillows to match the pale yellow later. Wrong.  About a month ago, however, I stumbled on a multi-colored stripe throw pillow while in Target.  It was a "stumble" as I didn't pay attention to the aisle I turned down because I was pushing the cart and holding Hamilton (who prefers to do the latter part of his Target shopping out of the carrier) and trying to convince him not to have a meltdown.  (Sidenote: Hamilton's shopping strategy actually reaped rewards for him the other day because he was able to pick out a new book.  In honor of "Earth Day Week," he chose the preservation-themed and Brown Bear, Brown Bear companion Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See? One more and we'll have the triology!)  Now I had a pillow on which to build an accent pillow theme.  Piece of cake.  Wrong again.  Due to misleading online color swatches, I went through several pillow options...enough that the UPS guy and I are friends now. Seriously--the other day he asked how the baby was doing.  I had to force myself not to launch into my "I promise I'm not a lazy stay-at-home mom spending all my husband's money" speech, which actually is pretty much on the tip of my tongue all the time.  Anywho...I finally think I created the "Spring/Summer" bed of my dreams:





Note: You know those annoying people who keep their nightstands free of random piles?  I'm not, unfortunately, one of those people, but I pretended for this picture.  And, I know, the blues don't match exactly, but I had to stop.

A totally unrelated note (and one deserving a separate blog): I miss Heidi's blogs.  I know it's hard to top the last ones she's done, so that could be creating some serious writer's block, but how about one more before the new bundle takes over?  If not, I will have to find solace in her music, my Rimmel mascara, and her remaining Spectrum aura.  

8 comments:

heidi said...

Great job on decorating your bed. As I scrolled down and saw the picture, I said "Oooooo, pretty," outloud. I love it.
And I totally have blog writers block. My mind is consumed with getting my house clean (not fun to write about) and words like dialated, effacement, and other things I prefer not to burden the blog world with. But I will get another blog up before Clark or Miles, or whatever we name him arrives. Maybe that is what is holding me up. The blog Gods need one more entry. And all this time I thought it was my visiting teaching holding me up.

jami v. said...

so aside from loving the bedding and pillows etc, i can't get over how funny all your little "disclaimers" are all the way through your post. too great ... cracks me up!

heidi - i dont' know you, but i have to tell you my baby is miles and he's the BEST boy around -- so if you're taking baby name votes from complete strangers, i'll vote for miles. :)

kate said...

Heidi: Good news...cleaning/nesting is a sign of "sooner than later" labor! And if visiting teaching held up labor, I'd still be pregnant.

Jami: Glad I can provide some measure of entertainment. When Heidi mentioned "Miles" was in the mix, I immediately thought of you...I should have her see what a cutie he is :).

racetri.com said...

your stay at home status is definitely a cool thing but be careful of the UPS guy. There are delivery man affair stereotypes for a reason.

ps-i helped heidi do a blog for your viewing pleasure:)

kate said...

No worries about the the UPS guy...every girl likes a man in uniform, but my favorite happens to be business casual...lucky for Alex

phillip said...

Remember the Monte Python skit where a scantily clad (no robes here) woman entices the milkman into an upstairs bedroom? After she sort of pushes him into the room and locks the door, he turns around to see a dozen or so other milkmen, some with white hair and beards, each holding a carrier full of milk bottles just like his.

That's a powerful cautionary tale for milkmen and other delivery persons.

You come by your decorating and "projecting" impulse by nature and by nurture, Kate, so you should just roll with it.

By the way, I think you should think about formalizing your experiences and your blogs in more formal writing. I'll bet you could write sort of a column or essay on being a stay-at-home mom kept happy by a cute little baby and in pillows by a successful downtown LA attorney. Remember, you are a writer.

kate said...

Thanks Dad...I'm feeling some of my writing vibe coming back by blogging...plus Alex says I need to write something because it's our only shot at living on the Strand.

Megan said...

Kate! I love your blogs!

And the bed looks great too. I wonder if you have the same UPS guy we do? Ours is also extremely nice and always says hi to the kids, gives them high fives, etc. Is yours a very smiley short asian guy?

You really are a great writer! I am going to make you do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) with me this November. Very fun. (Our husbands should talk because Robert has also informed me that it will be my job to make our millions by writing a bestselling novel. I always counter by asking him when he is going to invent the next great electronic gizmo. Sadly, Raytheon pretty much owns his brain so we wouldn't see any cash even if he did...)

Speaking of great writers, I read Interpreter of Maladies on Sunday. I LOVED it! Thanks for the suggestion!