Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gratitude and Jealousy

It might seem odd to pair gratitude and jealousy together, but throughout my days, I find myself feeling both regularly.  I'll have to devote a whole separate entry to my favorite feeling, guilt, another time.  Anyway, the gratitude moments, I'm proud of, the jealousy ones, not so much, but my entry wouldn't be entirely truthful if I only focused on my best feelings.

I'M GRATEFUL FOR...
  •  Alex.  I still look at my handsome husband and can't believe I actually get to be married to him.  I spent a long time thinking something that wonderful would never happen to me.
  • Hamilton.  He cracks me up regularly.  I can't wait to see more of his personality as he gets older.  Yesterday, he revealed more of his fierce independence when he got mad at me if I was touching a toy he wanted to push around.  Oh boy.
  • Travis, Heidi, Luke, and Miles being in town.  What a nice surprise!  
  • The Spectrum.  That's my gym, and the Kid's Club saved my sanity when I joined.  Not only do I get "me time" there, I've also gotten back in shape...almost...but when will I ever be satisfied?  Probably never. 
  • Bread.  I love it, and I missed it when Alex was encouraging our eating a low carb diet.   
  • Outlet malls.  All three of us have fun new clothes...maybe we'll go back and actually get something for someone else.
  • Alex's family.  I like them....and not because I have to. :)  And they're a game-playing family...hooray!
  • The Tot Lot.  It's a park for the littler kids and is where Hamilton first practiced walking (toy assisted...referred to a few points above).
  • The beach.  How can you ever be in a bad mood when you can drive to the beach in like 10 minutes?
  • My Mac.  Organizing photos and making videos is a breeze!
  • Rainbow sandals.  What would I wear if I didn't have them?  Of course, my feet hate socks now...
  • Steamfresh Veggies.  You just throw the bag in the microwave. Awesome.
  • Blogger.  A Faylor Reunion is now in the mix, I get to stay in touch with old friends (Meridee and Jami) and distant family, I see updated photos of my nephews, and I felt less isolated those first few newborn months.
I'M JEALOUS OF...
  • Margaret and Alex.  Hamilton regularly and dramatically prefers these people over me.
  • People without cellulite and saggy post-baby tummies.
  • Homes with yards.
  • People with 20/20 vision.
  • People who get their cartoon captions selected by The New Yorker.
  • Whitney's employment at Anthropologie.
  • Perfectly organized homes.
  • People who can hang pictures confidently and with good design sense.
  • Fast and consistent readers. I used to be one.  Being an English teacher and a mom has ruined this.
  • Good writers.
  • People who don't watch TV.
  • People with hobbies and skills.  Dreaded form question: So what skills, etc. could you teach for Enrichment.  Um.....

10 comments:

jackie boy said...

I love this although i am devastated I didn't make the list. How about this "I am grateful for Jack and the fact that he, not I, will soon be driving in the snow." or maybe, "I am grateful for Jack and his temper, so now there are two hotheads in the family." I can't think of a jealousy one at present, especially since Miles and Luke are with you. Shoot.

jami v. said...

ok, i'm going to have to comment again after this - but while i'm thinking about it, i'm waiting for mer to email your email address to me. :) that blog of mine went private :) so i'll invite you when she gets it to me. :) ... and i'll be back to comment on your post :)

jami v. said...

i love your lists ... and i don't think you can be jealous of good writers. in my book you're at the top.


ps-mer sent me a yahoo email address ... if that's not right will you email her your right one?! :) thanks

kate said...

I am grateful that I have a brother who has, of all things, great taste in purses. Crazy but true.

I am grateful for holidays, so I can see Jack.

I am grateful I don't have messed up feet like Jack, so I can run a "Turkey Trot." This may turn to "jealous" after the first mile, however.

I am grateful that Jack is so cute with my little boy.

I am jealous that my little brother is a smarter English major than I am.

I am jealous that Jack is usually in the same state as Luke and Miles.

So...did that improve the post? :)

jackie boy said...

I loved it. It was truly special. I would like to add one more. I am grateful that Jack has stopped being lazy and has started commenting on my blogs! I can't wait to see you kids. I miss you tons.

Treidi said...

grateful: for you that jack posted on your blog (twice).

jealous: if I am totally honest. that jack posted on your blog (twice).

ps- Kalex glad to see you are coming to terms with your internal duality. I look forward to the post entitled, "Kate and Mr. Guilt, a love story".

Snydely Yours said...

Have you thought about other emotions like, say, anger, greed, etc. I recently ran across a book title, "Ugly Feelings" by Sianne Ngai. It's academic and well received (Harvard University Press). Bad feelings might be the next new thing. Move over deconstruction, post-colonial studies, and all types of the performative...
You could jump on the band wagon because that envy about good writers bit is obviously an expression of self hate. Kate, face up to your own snide excellence.

Jenny said...

Wow, we agree on so much:
-The gym. I must admit that I've even gone and just sat and read in the locker room for my 2 hours. LOVE the kid's club!!!
-Bread, in any and all forms!!
-Outlet mall, I'm a sucker for a good deal.
-Blogger, I'm so glad we are all in touch now, and can't wait for the reunion!!

As for the jealousy, we can agree there too:
-Now that I have post baby tummy on top of pregnant tummy, I pretty much am jealous of anyone in decent shape.
-Homes with yards. I'm dying to get our backyard done, just to get the kids out of my face for a few hours.(sorry that sounds a bit harsh)
-People with 20/20. Anyone who doesn't understands this one.
-Good writers, that includes you and the rest of your family.
-People with skills. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!
-While I'm at it I will also add that I'm jealous of your mac and beach location too!!

Beth said...

Seriously, I could almost copy and paste your post to mine with just a few minor adjustments. The Mac would have to go under 'jealousy' and hopefully the sag and cellulite could be moved to 'grateful' in a few months. Nothing like a tummy tuck to lift your spirits!

kate said...

Trav...a double comment from Jack IS pretty enviable. Notice, though, how I had to first ignore than kiss up to get them. Feel free to use my model.

Mary Ann...it's nice to know that my '"bad feelings" are so cutting edge in academia.

Jenny...it never occured to me to sign up for longer than I need to actually workout...thank you!

Beth...it's a little ridiculous what lengths you'll go to for a tummy tuck. Geez :). Sooo happy to see you pop up on my blog! :)