Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Texting: Part I

It took me awhile to get into the whole "texting" thing, but now I use it all the time, as it solves my serious lack of desire to talk on the phone. The problem is that I have a hard time deleting some texts that serve as mini-journal entries, so my memory is often full or on the brink of being full. So, rather than continue that trend, I thought I'd record some of those nostalgic texts and open up some storage.

In "Part I": Dating

6/28/05 from Alex

Kate,
Looking forward to seeing you tonight.
Yours, Alex

the "yours" received much analyzing :)

6/29/05 from Alex

Don't be silly! I always have time 2 'hang out' w/ u! Just let me know what you have in mind.

an accurate reflection of my level of dating confidence. The first time I asked Alex over for dinner: "You wouldn't want to come over for dinner would you?" I'm pretty smooth, I know.

8/11/05 from Alex

Missed u 2-drive safe! ;-)

big relationship milestone..admitting to missing him and him missing me back...and with a wink!

9/10/05 from Alex

Actually, I have a hot date with this super cute x-country coach, but maybe u can tag along.

He's dating someone else!?! Kidding...

9/18/05 from Alex

Any time w/u is time well spent. Such a cutie!

Yes, this was actually to me.

9/18/05 from Alex

I love u 2, my personal "Florence Nightengale," but aside from you, i think i have everything i need. Love you!

Alex was super sick, and I had brought him Gatorade and some other stuff. Truly a sign I really liked him, as my usual MO is to think that sick people should just "toughen up." And, comfortable enough to send an "love you" via text...awesome.

9/23/05 from good friend Andrea

Oh im so happy. good job alex. im so glad that its ok. u r so wonderful he would be sad not to be with u

I don't even remember what I was freaking out about, but I had--to avoid getting hurt--talked to my friends several times about breaking up with him. For the record, Alex was never privy to these thoughts...kept the crazy girlfriend stuff to myself :).

9/25/05 from Alex

Thnx cutie--i love u 2! Have a good week :-)

10/17/05 from Alex

97% chance i'll play hookie from work wednesday & spend it with u! :-)

11/16/05 from Alex

The good news: i finished early. The better news: ur welcome 2 come over after 9 as i fly in 8:50. Up 2 u, cutie!

Alex did a lot of traveling when we were dating, but he always made time for me. Meant a lot.

12/05/05 7:16 am from Alex

Love u back, bride to be!

YES!! Day after The Proposal. I actually remember sending him the text this one responds to. Boy, I woke up happy that morning :). Did not do much in the way of teaching that day...


5 comments:

AsK said...

Man I wish I had all those texts from when we were dating! I've journaled some of the cute things he's done or sent, but this is so neat Kate! I can't wait to see part 2! These Spjute men we've got sure are charmers!!

Jenny said...

How sweet to have all that saved!! It would definitely be hard to erase those.

Heywood Clan said...

That is so awesome that you still have all of those. I wish we had texting when we were dating. :) You guys are so cute!!

phillip said...

I've never ever read such brilliant texts (or running annotations). . . sort of like the best kind of historical play-by-play reenactments of classic football, basketball, or baseball games. I can even hear the epic soundtrack in the background. Da . . . Da . . . Dum!

kate said...

I'll have to reread The Pleasure of the Text with this in mind. :)