Thursday, December 22, 2011

Music, music, music

I always love music. Heaven knows I've blogged about it numerous times. Sometimes, though, I get in a bit of a drought. Like, I'm not listening to anything new, and none of my old stuff is clicking with me. This is usually when the boys get to listen to their Disney soundtracks and other kid music.

Right now isn't one of those times. I could go on amazon or iTunes and buy a dozen cd's without even thinking too hard about it. And I'm totally loving a bunch of stuff I already have. The boys and I enjoyed Arcade Fire and Mates of State this evening; the only black mark being Hamilton insisting on spinning and flailing around with his eyes closed. *Sigh* Poor Christmas tree. Poor Beckett. Never fear...all survived.

I'm curious if any of you out there in blog land (if indeed someone other than myself reads this), have discovered any new great music or re-discovered an oldie but goodie?

Here's a quick list from me...

  • Ill Communication and Hello Nasty by the Beastie Boys. I'm very proud that Hamilton instantly recognizes the Boys. I'm sad that I have to pay more attention to lyrics with kiddos in the car.
  • I must have the new Florence and the Machine
  • I would also like Foster the People and Grouplove. It's important to have music like this to overcome stressful mommy days and simply dance through the house instead of making dinner.
  • Did you know the Black Keys is two nerdy-looking white boys? Did not know that. If you've listened to Brothers, I think you would also be surprised. Their new album is called El Camino and has a minivan on the cover. So, it's pretty obvious that I need that too.
  • Page France. It's a mix my brother made me. Band doesn't exist anymore, sadly, but their music still does. H is a fan.
  • want Young the Giant
  • want The Naked and the Famous
  • enjoying Christmas music, of course! My fav compilation was actually made by a boy I was deeply "in crush" with, so I feel slightly weird busting it out annually.
  • Christmas music I need to break out: Dan Fogelberg and George Winston...even if both will be accompanied by the nostalgic heart squeeze of Christmases past with my mama.
  • I have a cd mix of great music from Travis in my car...from Phoenix to Dave Mathews.
  • Arcade Fire's "Sprawl II"...second to last song on the album. Ugh. Love it so.
  • My sister-in-law is into Youth Lagoon right now. Would like to check that out...
  • Speaking of Heidi (kind of), I got my dad the new Fleet Foxes. Heidi got me an earlier cd by them. So chill. So awesome. So, now I want to listen to the old one AND buy the new one.

Hopefully, Alex doesn't read this and have a Christmas-related panic attack. He's now reached the status of "it is acceptable for you to select music for me," so if he got something not from this list, I'm sure it deserves to be on the list. And if he didn't, good because I'm feeling crazy spoiled without having opened a single gift.

How about you? Anything to add?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If I am not listening to Curious George, or some other ridiculous child show, in the car, I am happy. Not a music connoisseur at all. :-) I'm glad to know how much you enjoy it though.