Thursday, December 13, 2007
deadlift (by Alex)
Well, I told Kate I decided I better write something so as not to feel too left out of this blogging community. She's been after me for a while to post something and today at work I finally got the blogging itch, so, hear I am, sitting in bed jotting out what's been on my mind all day: Deadlifts hurt. Ok, ok, this is kind of out of left field, so let me explain. Every monday, wednesday, and friday, I leave the house at 6:30 am and meet a work buddy of mine at the YMCA across from my office downtown. He has this weight lifting routine we do - chest, shoulders, and triceps on mondays, back and biceps on wednesdays, and lower body on fridays. (on tuesday and wednesday we either play racquetball or I try and do a little cardio). We use the free-weights, so there are barbell benchpresses, incline and decline presses, standing military presses, barbell squats, assisted dips and assisted pullups, and others, and, of course, the dreaded deadlift. Every wednesday morning we start with 3 sets of the deadlift. We take the barbell, put on a few weight plates, put on wrist straps (yep, I even got wrist straps for this crazy exercise!), grab the bar while it is resting on the floor, stand up holding the bar while keeping our backs straight and chins up, and then squat back down so the bar is almost on the ground again. It actually seems incredibly simple: you lift something very heavy and then put it back down again. The thing is, the deadlift kills me. About half way through the first set I think, "Why am I doing this to myself? This hurts!" It isn't a matter of fatigue, more of a complete body exhaustion mixed with fighting off bursting into tears knowing I still have 6 more reps and 2 more sets to complete. I guess the only good thing is it makes the rest of the workout feel easy. Well, I better get some sleep so I'm rested for tomorrow - no deadlift for me on friday, just its uncomfortable cousin: the squat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I hear you, Alex. I save my deadlifts for the end of my routine, blaming fatigue as a reason why I don't lift an enormous amount of weight. I also don't have wrist straps, so it helps me look not so serious about the lifting thing (and a belly poking out), although, Travis does make fun of me sometimes because I wear weight lifting gloves. I think he's just jealous.
I love my muscley husband!
weight lifting gloves are for losers!
Real lifters prefer calluses:)
Also in the case of heidi she wears the gloves around the house until at least noonish...
I hope alex takes them off for work... I can see it now.
"Yes Senior partner Hughes this is one of our up and comers, Alex spjute"
Hughes extends his hand for a shake and Alex responds by reaching out his hand which is wrapped in a black mesh weughtlfting glove...
Alex, the real heavy lifting is just about to begin for you. Gloves won't help,either. With or without them you're going to be on your own, although it's nice you'll have Kate there to spot you. Also, this lifting will be more of a home gym, free weight kind of complete life-long work out that works every aspect of your being, not just your major (and minor) muscle groups. And your membership will never run out, although at times it will cost you way more than you think you can afford.
Post a Comment