I stopped running when I was about six and a half months pregnant. I actually enjoyed the slowed down pace of walking--I noticed cool houses, spent more time looking out at the ocean, and had quiet to think. To keep my "running habit" though, I still dressed out in running clothes. Sometimes this would confuse Alex who showered, shaved, and dressed before a planned morning walk, while I pulled on a sportsbra and my old running shoes (plus other clothes, of course, but the sentence sounded better with just the two items): "Wait...what kind of walk is this," he would ask, "A 'workout walk' or a 'holding hands' walk?"
Towards the end of the pregnancy, I began looking with more longing at the kids heading out on their run while my big belly and I trailed behind. I was anxious for the day I could strap on the new Nikes sitting in my closet waiting for my first "post-pregnancy" run.
I've now gone on three "post-pregnancy" runs, and each one has felt better than the last, as my muscles remember what they used to do six days a week, and I fall into old running routines: stretching at stoplights, checking my watch at mile markers, changing my stride on hills, and listening to my iPod Shuffle. Alex gave me my Shuffle Christmas 2005, and I haven't changed the songs since I loaded them at the Ghents. Alex always offers his Nano, which is loaded with more songs and gives me control, but I decline each time. I've put in so many miles with my old Shuffle songs, I can't imagine running with anyone else. It's a mix of legitimately good music like Ray Lamontagne, Snow Patrol, and Beck and guiltier pleasures like Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Gwen Stefani. The "Shuffle" also adds a more unpredictable element to my runs: Will an upbeat song come on when I'm starting to feel a little pooped? Will a mellow song begin as I end my run and stretch in the front yard? It's like a slot machine without the quarters.
On last night's run, I hit the jackpot rolling into my last mile as Kriss Kross made me want to jump, jump. Truly, a wigidy wigidy wack time running. Wow, I hope the next one is as fun and energizing, I thought. But instead of Jay-Z or Gorillaz, on came Sting's "Fields of Gold," and I was suddenly back in my Orem living room talking with my mom and Travis the summer I would go work at Disneyland. It was one of those small moments you know you'll remember forever, like when I watched my overalled mom hug my dad in the kitchen, saying, "Look, how perfect we fit!" or I was accused of eating all the Pringles by a crazy-in-love brother Thanksgiving night in a Nissan Sentra. Summer 1993 would be the beginning of independence and, as cliche as it sounds, figuring out who I was, who I wanted to be. With the song playing on, I thought of all that has happened to bring me to this run. Many years, experiences, joys, worries have passed since that moment in the living room, too many years since I last talked with my mom, but for a few minutes on a darkened Rindge Lane, I was running with it all.
8 comments:
I love it, this makes me want to go running and rediscover some old memories. I actually have on for you. I was at the Salem house not too long ago and I pulled out of my closet an old, bright red, Columbia jacket. Suddenly I was a young tot sitting on your bed, crying my eyes out as you packed for Germany. To console me you gave me this jacket. Oh, good times. But it makes me happy when you write about this kind of stuff. It makes me want to look for moments like this in my life.
kate ... mer shared your blog with me, and i hope you don't mind me taking a look. :) thanks ... i have forgotten what an amazing writer you are ... jami (from our good old usu days)
Hey Kalex, this is so unlike me -- sneaking around on someone's blog I don't know, so I figured I better leave a comment -- that way I wouldn't feel so sneaky. I saw your comment on Jami's blog (we used to be neighbors) and, well, Kalex seemed like a name from SuperMan like -- Kalel, so I clicked on it to see if it was Superman's blog. It wasn't, but I got sucked in for a little minute by the fact that you are quite a clever little writer! And, I could so relate to your talk of running and feeling a bit chubbyish after pregnancy. Anywho, just thought I'd leave you a little compliment to brighten your day (and let you know it was just a nice person not a scary person reading your blog for a minute -- though perhaps Jami has scary neighbors, so who knows).
I love your writing. I love that you kept running for almost 7 months of your pregnancy. I love that you haven't changed the music on your ipod. I love that Travis also accuses me of eating an entire tube of Pringles (and usually he's right). I love hearing your memories, and I love your last line.
So many thoughts on this well crafted piece of writing. Here is my best shot at doing it justice.
-I take some credit for your running. Rock climbing never stuck but running did. I feel like you are my best endurance exercise convert!
-My ipod is also synched with that computer in MB. I love the songs and I'm afraid if I change it they will be lost forever.
-That summer moment was the first time I realized that life could drastically change. It has been a roller coaster ever since.
-Would it also be cliche to add to the summer '93 memories "hookin up with a hot Californian golf pro?"
-Keep training we are expecting your return at Salem Spring
-Last but least, I love you... as only a little brother can.
Jack-When I come visit, let's plan on going on a run together where we can talk about old memories! :) I have plenty of sweet ones of my little bro.
Nancy-Thanks for the compliment! Sorry to disappoint you, though, that rather than a superhero, "Kalex" is simply a hybrid my my husband's and my names. :)
Heidi-Glad you enjoyed the music...sometimes I'll pull up your blog just to listen to the music while I do other stuff...sounds like you're a good dj :) And thanks for such a complimentary and well-written (love the parallelism) comment! I love you!
Trav-You'd BETTER take credit for my running! And like any true convert, I've gone on to try and get others running. Alex's brother has called and asked for running advice a couple times...crazy!
Change is hard, but I am so happy to see where we've ended up...with cute little families and still close to each other :) I love you too... as only a big sister can.
love the post. it made me want to strap on my shoes and go running right now. there is something that only running can provide huh? i love it!
Love the post, Kato, especially the title and photo. It reminds me of the painting in the family room in Fullerton of my dad's fishing gear, especially his oft-repaired wading shoes. It seems we have many old friends.
Post a Comment