Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Here we go Tar Heels...here we go!




North Carolina won its 5th national title last night.  They broke my heart last year, had me scared a couple time this season, and even had me considering putting my "jinx baby" Hamilton up for adoption (they lost every time we watched together). But the Heels (and Hamilton) were forgiven all as I watched them play tremendous basketball all the way through the tournament. "Men playing boys" is the way Travis describes it.

I spent my childhood in Chapel Hill. My dad got his Ph.D. at UNC.  It's difficult to explain to people the intense devotion to college basketball there.  My friends changed their Cabbage Patch dolls' names to UNC players.  Gillian was the proud mother of her very own "Sam Perkins." And we all felt a little guilty enjoying the botanical gardens on Duke campus.  

I love that as I watched UNC march towards their well-deserved title, I knew that my family (and the family we had in North Carolina) were watching along with me.  Well, actually, not always...I had to text Travis score updates during the priesthood session of General Conference. In any case, now that Hamilton is no longer a jinx, I look forward to raising another Tar Heel who was born in Deon Thompson's hometown.  

Congratulations Carolina! Thank you for a great season and an awesome tournament! I love you boys!

*my little bro Jack just blogged on this same subject...find it here.

3 comments:

jackie boy said...

excellent! it was a pretty great season and a great championship game. it consisted of dad pacing around like scrooge mcduck in his pacing room (travis reference) travis telling him to calm down and that a fifteen point lead is still really great, luke running around trying to find "dukies" and pretending to be ty lawson, and me, the carolina baby, sporting a tar heel hat and screaming at the tv for some offense in the third quarter. talk about family time!

jami v. said...

i love this post, and while i don't feel the same love for unc that you do, you made me feel like i should. :) congrats to all you tar heel fans!! :)

phillip said...

Just when I think I'm past all my Tar Heel insanity, it comes back with a vengeance. I can't believe how much I wanted them to win this championship. It's really one for the ages. I am glad I restrained myself when Travis suggested mutinously that he didn't want the Sparties to lose by too wide a margin.