When my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she had completed her course work for her Ph.D. in American history from the U of U. She had almost completed her dissertation. As she was a pretty serious and dedicated scholar, we're certain that one of her first tasks in heaven was to ensure that her credits transferred, to take the required exams, and probably enjoy doing some primary research. My dad's task was to finish her book and get it published. Done. It comes out late spring/early summer, and you can find proof of my mom's awesomeness
here. I'm proud of her for so many reasons, this is one of them.
8 comments:
editor's note: I got in on some of the action by designing two of the location maps.
My name should have been in the title too:)
editor's note 2: daughter helped check typed letters against original manuscripts.
The whole family should be in the title! :)
oh, and can't wait to see the maps...you're truly a Renaissance man. And that's not me trying to be funny...only the first part of this comment is.
So exciting. I think that the family editing team should celebrate with a book party. Maybe you could serve diet Pepsi?
That is so awesome to have that done for her! I'll have to get myself a copy, is it only being sold through the college?
I've got you all covered on the dedication page (plus Travis's maps in the acknowledgments).
I'm now working on the index with BYU publications lab, and we should be done next week. John Alley, executive editor for USU Press, wants it out for the Mormon History meeting in May.
USU Press distributes its publications widely, but you can also order through them.
sounds like an interesting read. how great to have that happen. ... and while i didn't know your mom i know you, and knowing genes don't just materialize, i'd have to say that your mom must have been an amazing woman because her daughter is quite amazing.
Mary Ann- Perfect book party suggestion...but don't forget the splash of Diet Dr. Pepper---it was her secret ingredient.
Dad--Thanks for dedication page props. And super thank you for finishing what Mom couldn't.
Jenny--Together we can make this a bestseller! Forget Twilight...bring on footnoted historical documents!
Jami--I love how pregnancy and distance creates such rose colored glasses :). You are right about my mom being amazing, of course. :)
I don't know how I missed this post! Luckily, I just happened to scroll down. That is so exciting! I'm so glad your Dad finished it for her!!! I bet she has the biggest smile on her face! I want to buy a copy of it too!
Post a Comment