Well, fine. I was wrong. He was right.
Three months into my mommyhood, I find myself in a second single life as a stay-at-home mom/housewife. By not teaching, I've said good-bye to the copy room and cafeteria scene, which provided both empathy and entertainment, and by being home more, I'm more aware of how many hours my poor husband spends at the office. So, now that I've emerged from the fog of the early newborn months, I find myself lonely once again and thinking all the other mommies were having play dates galore.
Sunday Alex, Hamilton, and I were invited over to "Dessert Night" with several other couples from the ward. With somewhat crazy eyes, I informed Alex we would definitely be going. I started planning my outfit as soon as we got home from church. I'm (now that I'm post-pregnancy) rediscovering belts, so this seemed a perfect opportunity to pull another one out from the back of the drawer. Instead of the "first single life" questions to roommates like "Does my butt look fat in these jeans," I was asking my husband to determine if the lovely back fat developed during pregnancy was highlighted or concealed by my shirt. Instead of feeling sassy by wearing a short skirt, I wore a non-nursing bra. Oooo baby! A real bra from Victoria's Secret...now that's hot...even with nursing pads. Preening in front of the mirror, I found myself believing that a perfectly casual, flattering outfit would show the other couples that I was a "cool mom"....maybe one of them would even ask "me the mommy" or "us the couple" out!
A couple days later one of the moms e-mailed me about some "get your baby to sleep" books. Because of Conference weekend, she couldn't hand them off at church as previously planned. She said she could bring them by or...wait for it...we could meet for lunch. Meet for lunch? Oh my goodness, I thought, she doesn't think I'm a total loser! Hmmm...wow, this was pretty much my same thought when Alex asked me out a second time.
It's tough being "single" again (I'm still trying to figure out a "cool" way to respond to that e-mail), but at least this time I have a super cute accessory that doubles as a conversation starter, my Hamilton.
7 comments:
This post reminds me of what Bridget Jones would write in her diary after having an adorable little baby with Colin Firth. Hilarious. Love the bit about the bra. That is definitely sexy. I just wish I was there to hang with you and the Hamster. I tell Travis all the time, I wish Kate and I lived closer - we would have play dates, lunch, go to Borders, push our strollers together, etc. And believe me, I know a lot of the same people you do, and they all think you are a "cool mom". So feel confident on the "dating" scene.
Whatever Kate, you don't need to be worried. You should feel like the prettiest girl at the jr. high dance. You and Hamster are too cute not to be sought after. I guarantee that they are all too intimidating to ask you on a playdate. But I love the post, maybe they should set up a match.com for mommies such as yourself. HA HA
I meant intimidated sorry.
I'm glad you're getting out, Kate, and that you always have a baby chaperon (that is, a chaperon who is a baby).
Also, while you may be getting your body back, you'll never get your life back (which is a very good thing, actually).
yep. good luck with "mommy-hood" because no one tells you what a switch it is to go from working girl (ok. not that kind of working girl. you know what i mean :) ) to working mommy girl. :) lonesome sometimes? yes. rewarding? yes. (when you can see past the craziness to notice it. :) ) good luck with this new adventure!
ps. kate, i love reading what you have to say. you have always been a great writer, and you still are! you just always know how to put all these situations into perfection. :) thanks for saying it all so well!
why carolina?
why?
Post a Comment