Monday, November 7, 2011

Gratitude: Day 7

Today I'm grateful for...my working husband.



As I was driving back home this afternoon, I began thinking about what I'd write my post about today. I thought about "running," as I'd just come from the gym, but I wasn't truly feeling grateful for it (maybe after a non-treadmill day). How about the cute things that Hamilton says? This morning, after he said good-bye to Alex, he went into the living room where I heard him say to himself, "I love Daddy so much." Hamilton later explained to me, "I really love him, Mommy." Heart-melter, right? With this story fresh in my mind, though, I thought about how Alex leaves every morning to go to work.

I often take this fact for granted. I'm lucky to have a husband who has a good job, making it possible for me to stay home with the kids, have a nice house, and do fun activities. Alex isn't loving his job right now. He's kind of at a crossroads career-wise, and he's trying to figure it out. I'm grateful that two of the biggest factors in his decision-making process are 1. being able to provide well for us and 2. still being able to have time for the boys.

When Alex gets home from "attorney work," it's straight to "daddy work" with no break in between (I don't count LA traffic as a break, do you?). The boys, of course, go crazy when they see him and enjoy the subsequent bedtime routine they have together. The other week when Alex had to work late, I got the boys jammied and was about to read them a story, when Beckett wanders over to the stairs, "Dada? Dada?" They know how it's supposed to work.

I definitely do not acknowledge all Alex does for us enough, nor do I say "thank you" as often as I should. Hamilton, Beckett, and I are so lucky to have someone who takes such good care of us, in tangible and intangible ways. I'm with Hamilton, I really do love him.