People under 60 aren't supposed to get colon cancer. That's why most insurance companies won't start covering colonoscopies until you're 50. So, when a close relative (like a parent or sibling) is diagnosed earlier, it's something you need to pay attention to. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 colon-liver cancer at 45 and died at age 47. With that knowledge (and my husband's reading a pertinent article), I knew I needed to at least go in and talk with a GI doctor. Thanks to a friend's recommendation, I saw a great doctor. I was nervous that he'd laugh me out of the office and accuse me of having some sort of weird fetish. He didn't. Instead I learned that the standard recommendation for a diagnostic colonoscopy for "high risk individuals" (that's me!) is ten years prior to their relative's cancer diagnosis. That was also me. Aside: If you, dear reader, have had a close relative with cancer, please research the recommendations for you.
We want to have another baby in the near future, and I want to live far into the future, so it only made sense that I follow through on this. As un-stoked as I was about the prospect of being scoped, I was more determined not to have my family go through this colon cancer business twice.
My appointment was this afternoon. The nurse asked me if I was nervous, and I laughed, "Um. Seriously? Yes!" What had me most worked up was the drugs they'd give me. Some sort of craziness that keeps you awake with the discomfort dulled, then a chaser of something to make you forget. I was becoming obsessed with this idea that I'd experience something I'd never remember. As the prep began, I thought, "I'm feeling this IV needle hurt getting inserted. Will I remember this? Or is this the one moment I will experience it?" It seemed even stranger to imagine the actual procedure. What if it was traumatic and I had to suffer through it...and then not remember. It's not that I wanted to remember something awful...it just all gave me Inception creeps, for lack of a better term. Anyhoo...I soon met my anesthesiologist who informed me that I'd be totally out. YES! Man, between epidurals and this news, I am a big, big fan of these doctors.
The even better news, of course, is that my colon looked great. No polyps or anything. I'm so relieved. And so glad I know this is true. I'm also hoping I'm setting a good example for my brothers. As noted in a previous entry, I am terribly fond of them and would like to keep them around for a long, long time.
Final notes:
- The anesthesiologist used "propofol," which, if you've been remotely attuned the news lately, is kind of a celebrity. FYI: my doctor stayed with me.
- I lost 3 pounds in 36 hours. Don't ask questions, just be happy for me. :)
3 comments:
I love your gratitude posts - you have the best writing ideas and there is a good chance that I will imitate you again sometime:) So glad you got the medical thing done, and even more glad that all was as it should be. I'm sure I speak for Jami as well, but I want you around for a long time for lots of things, not to mention meeting each other's kids...
Wow. 3lbs? You must be squeaky clean in there! Good for you for doing it. And I'm so glad it was all good news! It must feel really great to have that off your mind and off your to-do list.
LOL. 3 pounds in 36 hours. Awesome. I'm glad you're all clean in there.
Post a Comment